The Big Bike

The Big Bike
Duane and I at the top of Emmigration Canyon, UT

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I think I can...

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Carmen reminded me of The Little Engine That Could when I was having serious doubts about even going on this trip. After yesterday, though, I think I got this down! Yes, we hit more wind riding from Pioche to Las Vegas, but I was a little less stressed in it. And I wanted to avoid that whole interstate thing in Vegas, since we have to go all the way through Vegas with tourists exiting and entering the interstate all along the way, so we circled around to Overton to come in closer to Tiffany and Chris' house. Yeah, that was a mistake! Hit 20 miles of construction outside of Overton in the very hilly roads which included several miles of loose gravel and dirt! Are you kidding me?? I think Duane was afraid I'd stop and tell him to walk back and drive my bike, too! Ha! Well, it did stress me out--so much so, we forgot to stop and take any pictures along the way! So we'll take some in Vegas today and include them tomorrow. The kicker is we got on the interstate in Vegas anyway, and I didn't freak out. Although I told Duane later if he had stopped just before getting on (to coach me or whatever), I wouldn't have gone. As it was, our radios had quit (we need to get some back up batteries for these long days!) so I had no choice but to follow! So 600 miles later, I'm proud to say I made it to Las Vegas without an accident or tipping the bike over. Have to admit, I was crazy-nervous for the most part, but I arrived here feeling more in control--enough so to finally get a good night's sleep! We're spending today with Tiffany and Chris, then tomorrow we'll get on the interstate (yes, and go through Vegas!!) to go to St. George where the Utah-Colorado Rally starts. We're helping with registration (me) and parking (Duane) so have to be there by noon. I'll be parking my bike at a friend's vacation home (actually, she's my boss!) while we go to Colorado, and while I'm excited to be able to take pictures from the back of Duane's bike, I'm not nearly as anxious now to park my bike (yesterday morning, I was ready to leave it in Pioche, NV!!).

1 comment: