The Big Bike

The Big Bike
Duane and I at the top of Emmigration Canyon, UT

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

P.S. Now I've come full circle!

Don't forget--I left my Harley in St.George. So Saturday, July 3, we rode down with another couple, Sherrie and Casey. We rode over the Nebo Loop which was gorgeous and co-0-0-ld! We warmed up fast when we hit St.George--100 degrees! Checked into our motel, picked up my bike, and met up with the other couple, Heidi and Travis. We all went to dinner and then to the performance of CATS! at Tuacahn, the most incredible outdoor theatre! The redrock background is absolutely fabulous, and the entire venue is exquisite! CATS! was very, very well done, and our friends want to go back in October to see THRILLER! On Sunday we took a leisurely ride up past Snow Canyon to the little volcanic community of Pine Valley. Pretty sights! Enjoyed some time at the pool and got up early to return home via ZION Park. Monday turned out to be another challenging ride for me. The road through ZION was torn up and graveled---lots of switchbacks all the way up the mountain with tourist traffic in both directions. What a mess! All I could do was gut it out and keep going! Finally hit good pavement at the famous mile-plus long tunnel. The extreme darkness scared me until I took off my sunglasses! OK--so now I've lots of experience on gravel--and climbing, turning in gravel at that! The trip from Zion to Panguitch was very good, and we stayed on Highway 89 until Nephi. I managed the interestate construction through Lindon well--I cursed the sun, however, cuz it almost blinded me at times. Never have I been so anxious to have the sun hide behind the mountain--it got pretty difficult to see the shifting lanes through that construction with the sun setting directly in my eyes! But, yes, I made it full circle without an accident and without even laying the bike down! Am I ready for more?? Yes, but with some parking lot practice. I need to work on U-turns, backing the monster up to park, and all other small area maneuvers. However, some 1200 miles later, I'm pretty proud of making it out of the parking lot!! Enjoy the pictures! And stay tuned for hunting in South Africa; we leave July 17.

1 comment: